In the English faculty we strive to ensure that a study of any of our subjects will:
- foster a love of literature, the theatre and the media
- equip pupils with the ability to recognise the power of written and spoken language;
- equip pupils with the ability to be confident users of language;
- broaden the experiences of pupils by introducing them to a wide range of literature and other material;
- develop sensitivity, appreciation and clear thinking;
- develop creativity and independence of thought;
- promote tolerance and understanding of others;
- provide opportunities, where appropriate, for pupils to develop and apply their information technology capability.
The faculty offers English Language, English Literature, Drama, Theatre and Media Studies. In addition we provide many opportunities to broaden pupils’ experiences beyond the classroom from numerous theatre visits to writing and debating competitions.